ON "SILENCE"

The theme of silence in the movie may be the opposite of what I am doing now -- writing about it. But I feel a need to do so having watched it on my own and not having anyone to discuss it with face-to-face. Also, if this, in any way, compels you to watch it, I will be truly grateful.

I was excited but nervous about watching Silence.

I had read Fr James Martin's and Andrew Garfield's interviews about the film. I have not read the book yet but two of my closest friends told me that the story is something I would value and treasure. It is something that resonates with our Jesuit education.

Still, a part of me was anxious. Given what I have been through the last 2 years, I was afraid of how I would receive the film. Religion and I have had a lot of serious talks these last few years.

But I was more than eager to know what the movie had to tell.

To me, regardless of your religious stance -- agnostic, atheist, Evangelist, casual Catholic/Christian, etc -- it is worth watching.

Silence is both very familiar and foreign to us these days. It's hard to find a moment of silence in our very busy schedules, with the existence of far-reaching technology, and contemporary culture that favors the loudest. There is always some sort of noise surrounding us.

And yet, I am sure many of us are unable to say what we want to say. Whether silenced by noisier people around us, being unable to speak because of feelings of inadequacy and fear, or simply because we cannot find the right words and would prefer to express ourselves differently. Or we say something but are not heard. For whatever reason, silence accompanies us daily, too.

If only for this, the movie must be watched or the book must be read.

The characters in the story had to keep silent about many things. Which begs the question, what does silence really mean? What is silence to each person we encounter? Is it the lack of anything at all or is it the absence of the external manifestation of what is truly being conveyed?

Silence can mean so much more than any sort of sound.

***

The movie's biggest messages to me are in the 4 quotes below. If you wish to walk into the movie house not expecting anything, please skip this part.


"There is something more important than the Church's judgment."

"If Christ was here, He would act."

"It is just a formality, a formality."

"...the most painful act of love that's ever been performed."




RESUME READING HERE

These 4 lines make me ask several questions. What does it truly mean to follow Jesus? What does it mean to serve God? Is there a clear-cut way to do so (I've always said no.)? Why do we pray? What is "truth?" Is there really "absolute truth?" What is religion for?

What does it mean to "find God in all things"?

Perhaps human life is to be spent answering these questions. Perhaps simply living our lives answers these questions.

Whichever it is, Silence is the perfect movie for anyone who wants to learn more about faith.

***
I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all
by Rainer Maria Rilke
I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all
my fellow creatures, pulsing with your life;
as a tiny seed you sleep in what is small
and in the vast you vastly yield yourself.

The wondrous game that power plays with Things
is to move in such submission through the world:
groping in roots and growing thick in trunks
and in treetops like a rising from the dead.



No comments:

Post a Comment